Tandoori roti recipe on Tawa | butter tandoori roti at home | tandoori roti naan with detailed photo and video recipe. a traditional and tasty North Indian flatbread recipe made with wheat flour using Tawa on a top gas stove. it is traditionally made in a tandoor oven where flat rotis are pasted to the sides till it is cooked. these are generally served as a main course meal with a choice of gravy-based curries, but can also be used for other recipes like roll and Frankie to make a wonderful snack.
tandoori roti recipe on tawa | butter tandoori roti at home | tandoori roti naan with step by step photo and video recipe. roti or naan recipes are one of the staple foods for many Indians for lunch and dinner. having said that, certain recipes are assumed to be prepared only in restaurants or food chains. one such recipe is tandoori roti made in a tandoor oven. but this recipe post shows how to make it at home using the basic tawa and gas cooktop to get the same result as a hotel.
roti or chapati is one such dish we make often but never get bored. but these are basic flatbreads and whenever we wish to eat some fancy bread, we go to our favorite Indian restaurants. we all assume, that naan and tandoori roti can only be made in restaurants and hotels using fancy and sophisticated tools and equipment. well, let me tell you, all those recipes can be made easily at home if you have will and patience. for instance, in this recipe post, I am attempting the most popular tandoori roti recipe on tawa. trust me the critical part for this recipe is not baking or frying the roti, but kneading the dough. it has to be smooth, soft with balanced ingredients in it. with those proper measurements and ingredients, it would stick to tawa to make a perfect restaurant-style butter tandoori roti.
furthermore, I would also like to mention some of my tips, suggestions, and variations to the tandoori roti recipe on tawa. firstly, this recipe is made with only wheat flour as traditionally tandoori roti is made with just that. however, if you wish to explore other options, you may also use plain flour along with wheat flour. you may use the 1:1 or 3:1 or 4:1 ratio, to begin with. secondly, I have used iron tawa with roti stuck to the base of it. you may also use your old pressure cooker and stick the roti to the sides of it. lastly, once the rotis are cooked or baked, apply butter on top of it, so that it does not become brittle. do not apply before cooking or while it is cooked.
finally, I request you to check my other related roti naan recipes collection with this post of tandoori roti recipe on tawa. it mainly includes my other related recipes like moong dal puri, chole bhature, poori, ragi roti, rumali roti, how to make roti, chur chur naan, lauki thepla, garlic naan, luchi. further to these I would also like to mention my other recipe categories like,
- paneer recipes
- curry recipes
- rice recipes
How to make tandoori roti on tawa with step by step photo:
- firstly, in a large bowl take 2½ cup wheat flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, and ½ tsp salt.
2. mix well making sure everything is well combined.
3. now add ½ cup curd and start to knead the dough.
4. Add water as required and continue to knead for 5 minutes.
5. Now add 2 tbsp oil and knead until the dough turns smooth and soft.
6. cover and rest for 1 hour or more.
7. after 1 hour, knead the dough again making sure the dough is soft.
8. pinch a ball-sized dough and dust with wheat flour.
9. roll gently, making sure the roti is slightly thick.
10. now sprinkle some water and spread uniformly.
11. heat the tawa on medium flame, and once the tawa is hot transfer the roti onto the tawa.
12. make sure the waterside is facing down. Press gently, so that the roti sticks to the pan.
13. cook for a minute or until the roti partially puffs up and the base gets cooked up.
14. now flip the tawa onto the flame and cook until the roti is cooked uniformly.
15. Don’t worry if there are some black spots appearing. it gives a tandoor effect.
16. scrape the roti and make sure the roti is cooked completely from all the sides.
17. finally, brush the tandoori roti with butter and enjoy with curry.
Notes for Tandoori Roti on Tawa:
- firstly, if you are comfortable adding maida in roti then you can add a 1:1 ratio of maida and wheat flour.
- also, make sure not to use nonstick tawa as the roti will slip and will not stick to tawa.
- additionally, you can use a cooker in place of tawa.
- finally, the tandoori roti recipe tastes great when served hot.