Sambar powder recipe | Instant sambar recipe with sambar mix for travel
Sambar powder recipe with detailed photo and video recipes.
An easy and quick version of the traditional sambar recipe is prepared by mixing lentils, spices, and herbs.
It is a perfect recipe for travel or those who live in the hostel as anyone can make the sambar by adding hot water.
This sambar is a multipurpose curry recipe.
You can serve it with any choice of rice or even for a range of breakfast recipes like dosa and idli recipes.
Sambar powder recipe | Instant sambar recipe with sambar mix for travel and hostel
with step by step photo and video recipe. Instant sambar recipes are not a new type of sambar recipes, but it still takes a sufficient amount of time to cook.
Moreover, it still requires toor dal or lentil to be cooked separately, thus not justifying the instant way of cooking.
However, sambar can be made within minutes, and an instant sambar recipe with sambar premix is one such easy and simple way.
Well, last time I posted the dal premix recipe, I got so many requests for the sambar powder recipe. Technically, dal premix is an easy and simple recipe as it does not require any additional vegetables and even sambar spice mix powder. Hence it took me a while to develop the recipe for this sambar powder recipe. Initially, I wanted to add the veggies to the premix, but later I dropped that idea.
The mtr sambar powder mix very much inspires this recipe except for the veggies.
All the ingredients like lentil, sambar powder, seasoning ingredients like mustard, curry leaves, hing, and even the urad dal are added to the premix.
In other words, you take water, boil it with vegetables, and ad 2-3 tbsp of this premix powder
The sambar is ready. Hence I term this recipe as a travel or hostel buddy recipe.
Sambhar Powder Recipe
In addition, some more additional tips, suggestions, and some more variants to the sambar powder recipe. Firstly, the lentil used in this recipe is toor dal or pigeon pea lentil, which is commonly used in sambar recipes. However, if you have been practicing the sambar recipe with moong dal or masoor dal, you may replace toor dal with it, secondly, in the premix.
I have not added coconut with toor dal, but if you like coconut in your sambar, it can be said.
Moreover, it also helps improve the sambar consistency compared to just the lentil.
Lastly, once the sambar is prepared, it may turn thick in its consistency as it is rested.
Therefore, you may have to add some water before microwaving or reheating.
Finally, I request you to check my other related sambar recipes collection with this post of sambar powder recipe. It mainly includes my other related recipes like onion kulambu, arachuvitta sambar, temple style sambar, vendakkai mor kulambu, bendekai gojju, onion sambar, drumstick sambar, ulli theeyal, avial, mini idli sambar. Further to these there some more additional recipe categories like,
sambar powder recipe video recipe:
recipe card for instant sambar recipe:
Sambar Powder recipe | Sambar Premix Recipe | Instant sambar recipe for travel and hostel
- 1 cup Toor dal
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tbsp cup coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 10 dried red chili
- few curry leaves
- lemon sized tamarind
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 3 dried red chilli
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp jaggery
for sambar powder
- 2 cup mix vegetables
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup water
- how to make sambar powder:1. Firstly, in a heavy-bottomed pan take 1 cup toor dal and dry roast on low flame. make sure to rinse the dal and dry them completely.2. Once the dal turns aromatic, keep aside.3. In the pan heat 1 tsp oil. add ¼ cup coriander seeds, 2 tbsp cumin, 2 tsp chana dal.4. Roast until the spices turn aromatic.5. Further add 10 dried red chillies, a few curry leaves and lemon sized tamarind.6. Roast until the chills turn crisp.7. Transfer to the same plate and cool completely. 8. Once the dal and spices are cooled completely, grind to the fine powder. keep aside.9. To prepare the tempering, heat 2 tsp oil, add ½ tbsp mustard, few curry leaves and 3 dried red chilli. splutter the tempering.10. Add in prepared dal and spice powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp salt, 2 tsp jaggery and pinch hing.how to make mix veg sambar using sambar powder:1. To prepare the sambar, firstly take ¼ cup prepared premix and add 3 cup hot water.2. mix and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.3. In a large kadai take 2 cup mix vegetables. you can use vegetables of your choice.4. Add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt and 2 cups water.5. Cover and boil for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked well.6. Further, add in prepared sambar premix mixture and mix well.7. Cover and continue to boil for 5 minutes or until the dal is cooked well.8. Finally, mix veg sambar is ready to be served with rice, idli or dosa.
- Calories: 1012kcal Carbohydrates: 171g Protein: 51gFat: 23g Saturated Fat: 2g Polyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Sodium: 8588mgPotassium: 1340mg Fiber: 52g Sugar: 13gVitamin A: 19027IU Vitamin C: 44mg Calcium: 479mg Iron: 21mg
how to make sambar powder with step by step photos:
how to make sambar powder:
- firstly, in a heavy-bottomed pan, take 1 cup toor dal and dry roast on low flame. make sure to rinse the dal and dry them completely.
2. once the dal turns aromatic, keep it aside.
3. in the pan heat 1 tsp oil. add ¼ cup coriander seeds, 2 tbsp cumin, 2 tsp chana dal.
4. roast until the spices turn aromatic.
5. further add 10 dried red chilies, a few curry leaves, and lemon-sized tamarind.
6. roast until the chills turn crisp.
7. transfer to the same plate and cool completely.
8. once the dal and spices are cooled completely, grind to the fine powder. keep aside.
9. To prepare the tempering, heat the2 tsp oil, add ½ tbsp of mustard, a few curry leaves, and 3 dried red chilies. splutter the tempering.
10. add in prepared dal and spice powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp salt, 2 tsp jaggery and pinch hing.
11. saute for 2 minutes, let the spices well combined.
12. finally, sambar powder is ready and can be stored for six months.
how to make mix veg sambar using sambar powder:
- to prepare the sambar, firstly take ¼ cup prepared premix and add 3 cups hot water.
2. mix and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
3. in a large Kadai, take 2 cups mix vegetables. You can use vegetables of your choice.
4. Add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, and 2 cups of water. Cover the lid, boil it for 5 minutes, or let the vegetables cook well.
5. further, add in prepared sambar premix mixture and mix well.
6. cover the lid and continue to boil for 5 minutes. Let the dal will be cooked entirely.
7. finally, the mixed veg sambar is ready, and that you can serve with rice, idli, or dosa.
- firstly, make sure to adjust the spice level depending on your choice.
- Also, add vegetables of your choice, and you can prepare any variety of sambar.
- Additionally, the sambar thickens as boiled, so make sure to adjust the thickness accordingly.
- Finally, sambar powder is ready that you can store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.