Kachumber, an everyday Indian salad made with cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Kachumber Salad is a staple in many Indian homes & is made to serve as a side with their everyday meals. The fresh raw veggies are cooling to the body and help to tone down the heat of the spicy curries. This simple salad is almost there in every special Indian meal, it is a restaurant buffet or a wedding meal.
In restaurants, Professional chefs julienne the veggies so beautifully exhibiting their skills. But for the taste, we love the homemade one more. The colorful veggies look & taste so good with a refreshing lemon flavor. In this post, I share with you how to make this with ease at home.
We make kachumber quite often and I always find chop the vegetables to bite-sized for convenience. You can also julienne them. It also goes well in sandwiches, burgers & even in wraps/rolls. It is an oil-free salad and is just dressed with fresh lemon juice & salt.
If you are a newbie and learning to cook Indian, then do try this simple salad to perk up the nutrition of your meal. Chopping is the only task here that can be easily done while you cook your curry or dal.
Here I have used only onions, tomatoes & cucumber but veggies like radish, carrots, and beets also go well. The last 3 veggies are best julienned instead of being chopped. There is nothing better than a fresh salad in your meal, so try and use fresh & young vegetables here.
How to make kachumber Salad in video recipe:
How to make kachumber Salad with step by step photos
1. Rinse cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes under running water. I prefer to sprinkle some sea salt, and spray vinegar over the salad veggies & rest them for 5 minutes. Rub and then rinse them off under running water.
2. I do the same with the rest – lemon, green chilies, and coriander leaves. Fill a bowl with clean water and rinse the coriander leaves well. Change the water in the bowl and repeat a few times.
3. Chop or julienne all the veggies. You may peel the cucumbers if you want. Since mine had thin skin, so I preferred to keep them. Add all of them to a bowl.
4. Then add some lemon juice, salt & ground black pepper. Taste test and add more as needed. Add lemon and salt only when you are ready to serve. Do not rest the salad after adding salt and lemon as the veggies will let out moisture.
5. Add a little red chili powder (optional). My Mom always made a spice mix with roasted red chilies, roasted cumin, and garlic to sprinkle on this. I use the same. It is super flavorful with hints of heat and pungent flavors. If you don’t like plain kachumber, you can do the same.
6. Serve kachumber right away with an Indian meal.
Kachumber Salad Recipe Card
Kachumber, the simplest Indian salad made with cucumbers, onions, tomatoes & herbs. This oil-free salad is so refreshing & crunchy with a lemony flavor.
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 386IU8%
Vitamin C 22mg27%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
FOR MORE RECIPES